Boone Hospital Center is excited to announce a Winter Nurse Externship Program (NEP) opportunity for qualified nursing students. Nurse externs selected for this program will work 120 hours in the clinical setting with highly qualified preceptors. The program is structured to allow the nurse extern to see patients on a continuum of care throughout the hospital experience. The nurse extern is guided by a nurse mentor who oversees his/her experience in the various clinical settings from December 21, 2020 through January 16, 2021. The nurse extern will have the flexibility to work 40 hours in a 3-week period or 30 hours in a 4-week period depending on the winter break time period for their school. Accepted nurse externs will be hired as temporary staff and receive an hourly rate of $14.00 per hour for hours spent in the nurse extern role.
Under the guidance of Boone Hospital registered nurse mentors and preceptors, nurse externs will have the opportunity to:
- Provide direct patient care and perform clinical nursing skills
- Increase level of clinical competence and clinical judgment by observing care in various clinical settings
- Refine communication skills with patients, families and other health care providers
- Enhance skills in the areas of critical reasoning, decision-making, delegation, priority setting, organization, and teamwork through dialogue with preceptors, mentor and other members of the health care team
- Develop professional relationships with unit staff
- Demonstrate increased professional accountability
- Assume responsibility to seek potential learning experiences
- Explore, as a pre-professional, the scope of professional nursing practice
Externs will be under the supervision of experienced registered nurses and work in the hospital setting where the newest medical advances are coupled with excellent nursing care. Externs will be expected to work the schedule of the assigned preceptor which may include weekends, nights and holidays. This position is not eligible for overtime and should be scheduled 40 hours or less per week, up to 120 hours.
There will be five areas of focus that interested participants can apply for:
- Medical area of focus where the nurse extern has the potential to work with preceptors from the following settings: Medical Specialties unit, Dialysis unit, GI Lab, Diabetes Clinic, Pulmonary Function Testing lab, Intensive Care Unit
- Surgical area of focus where the nurse extern has the potential to work with preceptors from the following settings: Pre-op, Operating Room (General Surgery), Post-op acute care, Surgical Specialties unit, Orthopedic Specialties unit, Wound Clinic, Intensive Care Unit
- Neurological area of focus where the nurse extern has the potential to work with preceptors from the following settings: Neurology unit, Inpatient Rehab unit, EEG Lab, Operating Room, Post-op Acute Care, Radiology specials, Intensive Care Unit
- Cardiovascular area of focus where the nurse extern has the potential to work with preceptors from the following settings: Cardiac Cath Lab, Cardiovascular Unit, Operating Room, Intensive Care Unit, Cardiac Rehab
- Maternal Child Heath area of focus where the nurse extern has the potential to work with preceptors from the following settings: Labor and Delivery, Post-Partum, Well Baby Nursery, Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery, Childbirth classes, Lactation consultations
To be eligible for consideration for the NEP, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in an approved BSN program
- Completion of two semesters of clinical experience prior to the start of the externship experience (December 2020)
- Senior status in current nursing program
- Verification of good academic standing in current nursing program
- Attainment of a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale (verified by unofficial transcript)
- Expected graduation from approved BSN program by May 2021, August 2021 (accelerated program) or December 2021
If you meet the above criteria, we invite you to complete and submit the following by October 27, 2020:
- BHC Winter 2020 Nurse Externship Program Application
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (.pdf or Word). Recommendations may be submitted by faculty and/or clinical supervisors (if you are employed in the clinical setting).
- An essay of interest is also required (note specific essay guidelines in application)
- Unofficial transcript showing completion of two semesters of clinical experience, senior status in nursing program, cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale
Externs must arrange their own housing.
All decisions for selection of externs will be made and acceptance emails will be sent out during in early November.