Breastfeeding offers benefits for mother and baby. While breastfeeding is natural, it is a learned skill. This class is designed to provide breastfeeding education, support and guidance.
A two-hour session is offered from 6 pm to 8 pm on:
2019 Classes (Registration opens soon)
- January 7
- February 11
- March 11
- April 8
- May 6
- June 10
- July 15
- August 5
- September 9
- October 14
- November 18
- December 16
Benefits of Breastfeeding
The longer you breastfeed, the greater the benefits!
Benefits for Baby
- Breast milk is the perfect composition for baby.
- Intellectual development is improved as much as 8-10 IQ points since there are certain fatty acids in breast milk which are necessary for brain development.
- Bonding is enhanced.
- Far less otitis media (middle ear infections).
- Protects against allergies.
- Protects against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Far less likely to be anemic.
- Better vision.
- Encourages normal weight gain.
- Meets sucking needs and contributes to proper facial and jaw development (with less orthodontic problems.)
- Less dental caries (cavities).
- Protects against infections: upper respiratory infections, gastrointestinal infections, diarrhea, flu, urinary tract infections, general bacterial infections, meningitis and more.
- Less insulin-dependent diabetes, immune system disorders, childhood cancer, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis.
- Baby girls will experience a decreased risk of breast cancer in later years.
Benefits for Mother
- Naturally pleasurable and relaxing.
- Prolactin influences feelings of motherliness.
- Convenient: breast milk is always available.
- Enhances uterine involution (uterus gets back to normal size sooner).
- Delays onset of menstrual cycles.
- Increased caloric demand leads to weight loss (especially with longer durations of breastfeeding).
- Healthier baby makes for a happier mother.
- Much less expense than with formula.
- Decreased risk of premenopausal breast cancer, uterine cancer, endometrial cancer.
- Decreased risk of fractures due to osteoporosis in later life.
This two-hour class costs $25. To register or for more information about Boone Family Birthplace's Life Education programs, please call 573.815.6400 or 800.872.9008, or write:
Family Life Education Coordinator
Boone Hospital Center
1600 East Broadway Box 48
Columbia MO, 65201