Breastfeeding offers benefits for mother and baby. While breastfeeding is natural, it is a learned skill. This class is designed to provide breastfeeding education, support and guidance.
A two-hour session is offered from 6 pm to 8 pm on Mondays in Boone Hospital Conference Center Room A:
- June 8
- July 6
- August 3
- September 8
- October 12
- November 9
- December 7
Boone Hospital Conference Center Room A
1600 E. Broadway
Columbia, Missouri 65201
The conference center is located across from the admissions desk at the main entrance.
Parking is available in the parking garage on William St. Take the pedestrian bridge from level 2 of the parking garage into the main hospital building and take the stairs or elevator down to the first floor.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
The longer you breastfeed, the greater the benefits!
Benefits for Baby
- Breast milk is the perfect composition for baby.
- Intellectual development is improved as much as 8-10 IQ points since there are certain fatty acids in breast milk which are necessary for brain development.
- Bonding is enhanced.
- Far less otitis media (middle ear infections).
- Protects against allergies.
- Protects against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Far less likely to be anemic.
- Better vision.
- Encourages normal weight gain.
- Meets sucking needs and contributes to proper facial and jaw development (with less orthodontic problems.)
- Less dental caries (cavities).
- Protects against infections: upper respiratory infections, gastrointestinal infections, diarrhea, flu, urinary tract infections, general bacterial infections, meningitis and more.
- Less insulin-dependent diabetes, immune system disorders, childhood cancer, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis.
- Baby girls will experience a decreased risk of breast cancer in later years.
Benefits for Mother
- Naturally pleasurable and relaxing.
- Prolactin influences feelings of motherliness.
- Convenient: breast milk is always available.
- Enhances uterine involution (uterus gets back to normal size sooner).
- Delays onset of menstrual cycles.
- Increased caloric demand leads to weight loss (especially with longer durations of breastfeeding).
- Healthier baby makes for a happier mother.
- Much less expense than with formula.
- Decreased risk of premenopausal breast cancer, uterine cancer, endometrial cancer.
- Decreased risk of fractures due to osteoporosis in later life.
This two-hour class costs $25. To register or for more information about Boone Family Birthplace's Life Education programs, please call 573.815.6400 or 800.872.9008, or write:
Family Life Education Coordinator
Boone Hospital Center
1600 East Broadway Box 48
Columbia MO, 65201