- Volunteers at Boone Hospital should have a passion for people and be able to provide compassionate care for our patients, visitors and staff. Teenagers are also invited to volunteer as part of our "Volunteen" program. Keep reading for how to apply and to learn about the opportunities to serve at Boone Hospita Center.
- Complete and submit our online application. Note: If you are under the age of 18, please fill out our Volunteen application.
- An informational interview will be scheduled after your application has been reviewed.
- A two-hour hospital orientation will be scheduled.
- Provide Volunteer Services with the results of a current TB skin test.
- Prior to beginning as a volunteer a criminal background check must be completed. Note: Results may or may not prevent you from volunteering.
- Be willing to provide compassionate care as part of our service excellence to our patients, visitors, staff, physicians and one another.
- Adhere to the hospital’s dress code such as no blue jeans or shorts, no facial jewelry, cover your feet and maintain a professional and conservative appearance.
- Wear your name badge.
- Arrive on time.
- Be committed as a volunteer and maintain your volunteer schedule.
- Adhere to the BHC Standards of Excellence!
- Provides first greeting of patient and escorts patients to various locations in the hospital. May require pushing a wheelchair. Requires standing and walking for the duration of the four-hour shift. Shifts are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Gift Shop
- Provides customer service and works as a salesperson and cashier. Unpacks, prices and restocks merchandise. Requires frequent standing and bending. The gift shop is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Shifts are from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (There is some flexibility with the evening shift to start at a later time.)
- GI Lab
- Serves as a liaison between staff and the family members of patients undergoing outpatient testing. Provides a relaxing, calm atmosphere for waiting. Requires both frequent sitting and walking. Shifts are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- ICU Waiting Room
- Serves as a liaison for visitors with patients in ICU. Serves as a host or hostess providing comfort items such as coffee, ice, etc. Frequent sitting. Shifts are scheduled from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Surgery Waiting Room
- Provides assistance to the family members of patients in surgery by acting as a liaison to the staff. Greet visitors, relay information to appropriate family members such as where consult rooms or recovery rooms are located. Maintain the calm, friendly atmosphere of the waiting room area. Requires both frequent sitting and walking. Shifts are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. and 12:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Scheduling/Volunteer Office
- Provides front desk coverage for the volunteer office by coordinating workflow, deliveries, and answering the telephone. Oversees the service area schedules and finds substitutes as needed. Prints ecards. Additional responsibilities include patient mail processing, special projects and deliveries as needed. Computer use is required and frequent sitting. Shifts are scheduled for 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Volunteer Office
- Performs various tasks as needed. Responsibilities include delivering patient mail, department mail, flowers, newspapers, etc. May assist with special projects as needed. Frequent walking is required. Shifts vary between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Palliative Care
- Responsibilities vary with this unique volunteer opportunity. Palliative care provides support for patients and families. The patients may have a life altering, life threatening, or a terminal illness. Opportunities include reading, visiting, provides compassion or office support. Volunteers interested in this area are required to attend additional training and give a minimum of one-year commitment.
- Boone Ambassador
- Provides companionship to patients as needed. Volunteers may visit, read, or assist with meal tray preparation (such as opening containers). Shifts are available seven days per week. Some flexibility for start and end times. Ambassadors are currently volunteering on our general medicine, cardiology, cardiac surgery, general surgery, oncology, joint replacement units and spine center.
For more information about
Volunteering at Boone,